Neighbor law : fences, trees, boundaries & noise / attorneys Emily Doskow & Lina Guillen1 available
Gateway-Kenosha Campus General Collection
KF 639 J6.7 2017
- 9th edition.
- 374 pages ; 23 cm
- Includes index.
- Includes bibliographical references and index.
- Introduction: Neighbors and Legal Questions
- 1. Tackling a Neighbor Problem
- Get Prepared -- Approach the Neighbor -- Turn to the Authorities for Help -- Try Mediation -- Take the Neighbor to Court
- 2. Noise
- Laws Against Noise -- What to Do
- 3. When a Tree Is Injured or Destroyed
- Who Owns a Tree? -- An Owner's Rights When a Tree Is Damaged -- What the Tree Owner Can Sue For -- Criminal Penalties -- What to Do If a Neighbor Damages Your Tree -- Preventing Damage
- 4. Encroachment: Invading Branches and Roots
- Looking for Help -- Trimming a Neighbor's Tree: The Right of Self-Help -- When a Neighbor Can Sue -- Going to Court
- 5. Unsound Limbs and Trees
- Getting Help From the City Government -- Trimming a Neighbor's Tree: The Right of Self-Help -- Ask the Owner to Trim the Tree -- Suing to Prevent Damage -- Homeowner's Insurance -- After Damage From an Unsound Tree
- 6. Boundary Trees
- Ownership -- Co-Owner's Responsibilities -- Damage to or Removal of a Boundary Tree
- 7. Fruit and Nuts: Who Owns What?
- Who Owns the Tree? -- Fruit That Has Fallen -- Avoiding Problems
- 8. Obstruction of View
- The Basic Rule: No Right to a View -- View Ordinances -- Subdivision Rules That Protect Views -- Other Laws That May Protect Views -- Views That Are Not Legally Protected -- Avoiding View Problems
- 9. Boundary Lines
- Settling Uncertain Boundary Lines -- When a Neighbor Doesn't Honor the Boundary
- 10. Using Another's Land: Trespass and Easements
- Trespassers Who Become Owners -- Easements
- 11. Fences
- Rural Areas: Fencing Livestock In or Out -- Urban Fences -- Property Line (Boundary) Fences -- Disputes Over Boundaries -- Sharing a Fence That Is Not on the Boundary
- 12. Spite Fences
- General Restrictions on Fence Height -- What Is a Spite Fence? -- Negotiating With the Neighbor -- Going to Court
- 13. Dangers to Children: Attractive Nuisances
- The Attractive Nuisance Doctrine -- Takng Necessary Precautions -- Seeking Legal Help
- 14. Rural Neighbors and the Right to Farm
- Ordinary Nuisance Rules -- Right-to-Farm Laws -- What Neighbors Can Do
- 15. Water
- When the Neighbor Is Liable for Damage -- When the Neighbor May Not Be Liable for Damage -- What the Neighbor at Fault Must Pay For -- What to Do If You Suffer Water Damage -- Rights to Water
- 16. When Your Neighbors Is a Business
- Zoning Laws -- Covenants, Conditions, and Restrictions -- Home-Based Business -- Other Laws Protecting You and Your Property -- Expect a Compromise -- What to Do When the Law Favors You -- When the Law Favors the Business
- 17. Other Common Neighbor Issues
- Blighted Property -- Weeds, Rubbish, and Garbage -- Loud and Offensive Language -- Drug Dealers -- Registered Sex Offenders (Megan's Law) -- Animal Problems -- Secondhand Smoke -- Vehicles -- Drones -- Outdoor Lights
- 18. Legal Research
- Local Laws -- State Statutes -- Case Law
- 19. Mediation
- What Is Mediation? -- How to Find a Mediator -- How Mediation Works
- 20. Small Claims Court
- What Is Small Claims Court? -- Preparing for Small Claims Court -- How Small Claims Court Work
- A. State Statutes on Injury to Trees
- How Much an Owner Can Sue For -- Fines or Jail Sentences for Damaging a Tree
- B. State Statutes on Private Nuisance
- Common Law Definition -- Conduct or Condition Must Be Unlawful or Unreasonable
- C. Boundary Fence Statutes
- D. Adverse Posession Statutes
- E. Right-to-Farm Statutes
- Resolve neighbor conflicts and get peace of mind Dont let a neighborly nuisance turn into a nasty lawsuit. Learn your rights and responsibilities with Neighbor Law, the plain-English guide to the laws behind common neighbor disputes. Neighbor Law is more than a legal guideits a practical book filled with tips on how to solve problems and restore good neighbor relations. Find out how to handle: noisy neighbors trees that hang over a property line blocked views unclear boundary lines high, unsightly, or deteriorating fences dangers to children (attractive nuisances) problems with neighboring businesses drones trespassing onto your property other common issues, like secondhand smoke, blighted property, and animal issues. The 9th edition includes updated laws and information on mediation, going to court, boundary fences, private nuisances, and much more.
- 20.00 (10-001-5)
- Adjoining landowners -- United States -- Popular works.
- Boundaries (Estates) -- United States -- Popular works.
- Fences -- Law and legislation -- United States -- Popular works.
- Trees -- Law and legislation -- United States -- Popular works.
- Added Author
- Guillen, Lina, author.