The small business start-up kit : a step-by-step legal guide / Peri H. Pakroo; edited by Marcia Stewart1 available
Gateway-Kenosha Campus General Collection
KF 1659 P3.5 2016
- 9th edition.
- 345 pages ; 28 cm
- Includes index.
- "With downloadable forms"--Cover.
- Your Small Business Start-Up Companion -- As Conditions Change, the Elements of Success Are the Same -- Systems Facilitate Success -- Why This Book Is a Must for Start-Ups -- Take the Leap
- 1. Choosing a Legal Structure
- Sole Proprietorships -- Partnerships -- Limited Liability Companies (LLCs) -- Corporations -- Benefit Corporations, L3Cs, and Emerging Business Structures for Socially Conscious, Mission-Driven Businesses -- Choosing the Best Structure for Your Business
- 2. Picking a Winning Business Name
- An Overview of Trademark Law -- Trademark Issues Online -- Name Searches -- Choosing a Domain Name -- Trademark Registration -- Winning Names for Your Business, Products, and Services
- 3. Choosing a Business Location
- Picking the Right Spot -- Complying With Zoning Laws -- Commercial Leases
- 4. Drafting an Effective Business Plan
- Different Purposes Require Different Plans -- Describing Your Business and Yourself -- Making Financial Projections -- Break-Even Analysis -- Profit/Loss Forecast -- Start-Up Cost Estimate -- Cash Flow Projection -- Putting It All Together -- Using Your Plan to Raise Start-Up Money
- 5. Pricing, Bidding, and Billing Projects
- Pricing and Billing for Service Businesses -- Bidding and Creating Proposals -- Pricing for Business Selling Products
- 6. Federal, State, and Local Start-Up Requirements
- Step 1: File Organizational Documents With Your State (Corporations, LLCs, and Limited Partnerships Only)
- Step 2: Obtain a Federal Employer Identification Number (FEIN)
- Step 3: Register Your Fictitious Business Name (FBN)
- Step 4: Obtain a Local Tax Registration Certificate
- Step 5: Obtain a State Seller's Permit
- Step 6: Obtain Specialized Licenses or Permits
- 7. Risk Management
- Who Might Sue or Be Sued -- Risk Management Strategies -- Insurance and Warranties
- 8. Paying Your Taxes
- Tax Basics -- Income Taxes for Sole Proprietors -- Income Taxes for Partnerships -- Income Taxes for LLCs -- Estimating and Paying Your Taxes Quarterly -- City and County Taxes -- Sales Taxes
- 9. Laws, Taxes, and Other Issues for Home Businesses
- Home Business Zoning Restrictions -- The Home Business Tax Deduction -- Risks and Insurance
- 10. Entering Into Contracts and Agreements
- Contract Basics -- Using Standard Contracts -- How to Draft a Contract -- Reading and Revising a Contract -- Electronic Contracts
- 11. Bookkeeping, Accounting, and Financial Management
- Accounting Basics -- Cash Versus Accrual Accounting
- Step 1: Keeping and Organizing Receipts
- Step 2: Entering Receipts Into Bookkeeping Software
- Step 3: Generating Financial Reports
- Using Technology to Manage Money, Inventory, and Projects
- 12. Small Business Marketing 101
- Defining Your Market -- Learning About Your Market: Market Research -- Cost-Effective Marketing Tools
- 13. E-Business: Selling and Marketing Online
- Defining Your Strategy and Goals -- A Website: Your Online Base Camp -- Online Outreach Methods -- E-Commerce: What's Involved? -- Website Builder Services and Affiliate Stores: Do or Don't? -- Planning a Website Project -- Choosing and Working With a Web Developer -- Creating a Website -- Driving Traffic to Your Site -- Domain Names and Hosting -- Intellectual Property: Who Owns Your Website?
- 14. Planning for Changes in Ownership
- When You Need a Written Buy-Sell Agreement -- Buy-Sell Agreement Basics -- Limiting Ownership Transfers -- Forcing Buyouts -- Establishing the Price for Sales: How to Value the Business -- Implementing Buy-Sell Provisions -- Sample Buy-Sell Provisions
- 15. Building Your Business and Hiring Workers
- Employees Versus Independent Contractors -- Special Hurdles for Employers -- Hiring and Managing Staff
- 16. Getting Legal and Other Professional Help
- Working With Lawyers -- Working With Accountants and Other Financial Professionals -- Internet Legal Research
- A. Small Business Resources and State-by-State Contact Information -- Small Business Start-Up Information -- State Tax Agents -- State Sales Tax or Seller's Permit Agencies -- LLC Offices -- State Unemployment Compensation Agencies
- B. How to Use the Interactive Forms on the Nolo Website -- Editing RTFs -- List of Forms Available on the Nolo Website
- Build a foundation for your business, online and off. Create and implement business and marketing plans. Comply with tax rules, including those affecting home businesses.
- 20.00 BUS ED GEN (99-BEG-9)
- Entrepreneurship -- Law -- United States.
- Small business -- Law and legislation -- United States.
- New business enterprises -- Law and legislation -- United States.
- Business education -- Entrepreneurship -- Textbooks -- United States.
- Added Author
- Stewart, Marcia, editor.