Career errors : straight talk about the steps and missteps of career development / Frank Burtnett
Book | Rowman & Littlefield Publishing Group, Inc. | 2019 | Second Edition.
Available at Gateway-Racine Campus New Books Display (LB 1775 B8.76 2019)
x, 266 pages : illustrations (colour) ; 24 cm
Revised edition of the author's Career errors, .
Includes bibliographical references and index.
Part 1: Entering, Reentering, and Moving about the World of Work
1. Error: Clueless about How the Career Development Process Works
2. Error: Subpar Decision-Making Leading to Catastrophic Consequences
3. Error: A Good Search Spoiled
4. Error: Unknown Occupations Are Off the Career Radar
5. Error: Missed or Failed Education, Training, and Retraining Opportunities
6. Error: Inability to Find and Use Good Information
7. Error: Over-Aspiring and Under-Aspiring with Troubled Results
8. Error: Ignorance of Human Resources and Life Experiences as Career Teachers
9. Error: The Perils of Poor Time and Calendar Organization
10. Error: Failure to Use Professional Counselors
Part 2: The Initial Steps: Finding, Acquiring, and Moving into the First or Any Job
11. Error: Inability to Adapt to Change
12. Error: Inadequate Job Search Skills
13. Error: A Killer Résume, and You Are the Deceased
14. Error: The Interview That Implodes
15. Error: Poor Writing Resulting in a Failure to Communicate
16. Error: Mismanagement of Transitions
17. Error: You Didn't Get the Job and You Don't Know Why
18. Error: To Accept or Not Accept - The Job Offer, That Is
19. Error: Coping with New Job Anxieties and Stress
20. Error: Holding Out for the "Dream Job"
21. Error: Insufficient Encounters with Career Helpers
Part 3: Achieving Career Satisfaction and Dealing with the Occasional Crisis
22. Error: Blundered Growth, Mobility, and Maintenance Opportunities
23. Error: Inability to Achieve Career Satisfaction and Life-Work Balance
24. Error: Faulty Treatment of Termination, Job Loss, and Other Career Dilemmas
25. Error: Ignoring the Knowledge Explosion
Part 4: Winding Down and Exiting Your Career
26. Error: Poor Posturing for Late Career and Retirement
27. Error: Mishandling Change Late in Career
Part 5: Voices That Matter
28. Learning from the Experts
'Career Errors: Straight Talk about the Steps and Missteps of Career Development' examines the career development encounters that people experience across their life span. The book begins with a comprehensive examination of the career development process and explains why these eight phases must be understood for career satisfaction and success to be achieved. This analysis is followed by a meticulous treatment of twenty-six things active members of the workforce "do wrong" or "don't do" in pursuit of their career ambitions. Conducting an effective job search, dealing with job loss or termination, and learning how best to prosper in the workplace are among the subjects included. Throughout the book, Frank Burtnett sets life-work balance as a paramount goal and outlines strategies about how this elusive objective can be achieved. 'Career Errors' is the next best thing to having a professional career counselor or recruiter in the room. While written for the individual in need of advice, this book is also of significant value to counselors, search and staffing professionals, educators, and others playing important roles in these transitions.
35.00 C ED (99-CED-9)